The Abena Korantemaa Oral History Prize (2020)
Writers Project of Ghana announces the opening of submissions for the 2020 Abena Korantemaa Oral History Prize, an annual award for Oral History narrated by a woman over the age of 65 years.
The Abena Korantemaa Oral History Prize is set up to encourage younger Ghanaians to document history and contribute to its preservation. The prize also seeks to encourage the production of creative non-fiction from Ghana. This prize was established by the family of Abena Korantemaa, and is sponsored by MAKEDA PR and Sankofa Girl.
The competition is open from now until 18th September, 2020. The prizes will be awarded in October, 2020, and the first prize is GHC 2,500.
To enter the competition, you should make a voice recording of a piece of oral history told by an elderly woman (not yourself), and send it to Writers Project of Ghana. The recording should be oral history between 20 minutes and 50 minutes long. You can make the recording using a voice recorder, a mobile phone, a computer, or other recording device. There are no limitations to the content of the submissions, but there will be a preference for stories about the community and country. Personal stories connected to historical or significant events in history are also encouraged.
- The narrator must be a Ghanaian resident in Ghana. Proof will be required by means of identification issued by authority (example, passport, national ID card, etc).
- The narrator must be a woman at least 65 years old.
- The recorder/interviewer (you) must be a Ghanaian and can be of any age.
- To enter the competition, send us a 20 to 50 minute recording of an oral history narration.
- The storyteller or narrator should be a woman who must be over 65 years old (and must not be you).
- The recording may be done using a voice recorder, a mobile phone, a computer, or other recording device.
- The story may be in English or a Ghanaian language.
- Make sure that the recording is clear and audible.
- Send the recording (audio file) to the Writers Project of Ghana WhatsApp number 0267668890, or via email to email@example.com
- Only one submission per person is allowed.
Please answer the following and add to your submission:
- Contact Email address
- Telephone number
- Name of the Narrator
- Age of Narrator
- What is the language of the story/narration?
- What is the story/narration about?
- Why do you think people should hear this story?
Prizes will be awarded in October 2020. The first prize is GhC 2,500.00.
ABOUT THE PRIZE: The Abena Korantemaa Oral History Prize was set up in honour of Abena Korantemaa by her family, and is sponsored by MAKEDA PR and Sankofa Girl.